CLIMATE OUTLOOK FOR DECEMBER 2023 AND A REVIEW OF NOVEMBER 2023.
The Forecast for December 2023
- The outlook for December 2023 indicates that most parts of the country are likely to experience above-average (generally enhanced) rainfall except over Northwestern parts of the country where near average rainfall is expected.
- During the first half of the month, generally sunny and dry conditions are likely to prevail over the northeast and northwest parts of the country, while the southern regions are likely to receive occasional rainfall throughout the month.
- The rainfall distribution, both in time and space, is expected to be generally good over the Southern sector of the country.
- The above average rainfall will be driven by the current El Nino conditions which are expected to continue into early 2024 and a positive Indian Ocean Dipole which is expected to remain positive till January 2024.
October 2023 Rainfall Review
- The month of November marked the peak of the seasonal rainfall.
- Several parts of the country experienced very heavy rainfall during the month of November 2023.
- These severe storms led to floods and landslides especially in Central, Coast, South Eastern, Northwestern, Western and North Eastern Kenya.
- Most meteorological stations across the country recorded monthly rainfall totals that exceeded their November monthly Long-Term Means (LTMs). Mombasa meteorological station recorded 508% of its November LTM.